[kdepim-users] Untouchable e-mails in KMail - SOLVED

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 23:20:02 GMT 2014

On Wednesday 26 Feb 2014 14:11:05 I wrote:

> I have a very-low-traffic e-mail folder which received a message yesterday
> via my ISP's POP3 service. At intervals after that I noticed two
> duplicates, then two more and so on until I had 30 of them by this morning.
>
> I can delete all of the duplicates except what I assume was the first pair.
> They remain in place, marked unread, and when I run the dedup process
> (Folder
> > Remove duplicate messages) I get this error once for each of them:
> 	"Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 15) : Unable to retrieve
> 	item from resource: Invalid item retrieved"
>
> The real message had a .doc attachment, probably produced by a version of MS
> Word. That document opens nicely in Libre Office.
>
> It looks as though I need to dig into the works to find and remove the
> offending entries in whatever database is involved - can anyone advise me?

For posterity I should record how this was fixed.

The problem was that the .Folder.directory above the strangely misbehaving
Folder was missing, so that the folder's messages existed in the database but
not in the file tree. This exposed some weird fault in KMail or its friends.

The fix was to create the proper directory structure manually (after akonadictl
stop - thanks Kevin). After that and logging out and in again everything was
working as expected. There's some clever stuff in this program.

Anyway, case closed.

--
Regards
Peter