[kdepim-users] Scary dialogs

Mathias Homann Mathias.Homann at opensuse.org
Mon Mar 3 10:07:51 GMT 2014

Am Montag, 3. März 2014, 10:32:44 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> I think it will be a while until a replacement system can be attempted to be
> written, though it should be easier this time around since all programs
> communicate using the same protocol and do not depend on any specific way
> the server is implemented in.

Supposedly there will be a move away from nepomuk and virtuoso in the next
bigger release...

> Btw, jsut curious, how do the many other programs that use SQLite handle
> this, e.g. Mozilla's applications?

Just as badly, hence my firefox profile folder being a symlink into /dev/shm
that gets rsync'd on login and logout.

With akonadi I started using a central mysql server instead of local sqlite,
that made it suck a bit less, but virtuoso indexing over nfs is still a major
PITA, regularly freezing up both client AND SERVER.

On the other hand, switch off the indexing and you might just as well
completely stop using kontact and migrate to thunderbird, which is kind of
sad, seeing how kontact used to be one of the "KDE poster apps"... But
seriously, which other desktop environmenmt needs a central database server to
be useful?

Cheers
MH