[kdepim-users] Local mail folders not found

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Mar 2 11:10:03 GMT 2014

On Sunday, 2014-03-02, 21:51:54, Peter wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 11:15:52 AM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Thursday, 2014-02-27, 15:58:08, Peter wrote:
> > > Now I can't see the local mail folders. This is in KMail version 4.9.5.
> > > I'm
> > > only setting this up temporarily, only a few emails. I have sent and
> > > received various emails todays, and I can see them under
> > >
> > > /.local/share/.local-mail         path
> > >
> > > and that is what is specified under the settings, in confgure KMail.
> > >
> > > However, when I enter KMail, it goes and creates ew folders for
> > > sent-mail
> > > and outbox under this path
> > >
> > > /.local/share/.local-mail.directory
> > >
> > > and so I can't see the emails from today, just 2 empty folders.
> > >
> > > Why is KMail appending ".directory" to what is specified in the config
> > > settings ?
> >
> > The .directory is where the sub folders are.
> >
> > E.g. if you have a mail folder structure like the following in KMail
> >
> > Mailinglists
> >
> >     kdepim-users
> >
> > Then on the file system this looks like this
> >
> > Mailinglists
> > Mailinglists/cur
> > .Mailinglists.directory
> > .Mailinglists.directory.kdepim-users
> > .Mailinglists.directory.kdepim-users/cur
> >
> > The "cur" directories is where each folders email is.
>
> The directory structure sems a little bit different from Kubuntu a few years
> ago ??

The base directory may be different, but the general structure has been around
for many years.

Initially the base directory used to be $HOME/Mail, however some distributions
patched the code to make that $HOME/.Mail (e.g. Mandrake IIRC).
Later versions used $HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail as the base path.

With the advent of cross-desktop locations such as $HOME/.local/share (also
known as $XDG_DATA_HOME), newer versions used that as the base path's prefix.

> > In your case I am not totally sure where that .local-mail directory comes
> > from, here it is called local-mail (without the leading dot).
>
> When you stated "without the dot" I wondered if doing my maildirs in a
> hidden folder was complicating things. For example if I had
>
> ~/.local/share/local-mail
>
> in the config, KMail kept putting (appending) ".directory" to what was in
> the config. I even tested this at different levels within ~/.local

The config holds the path of the "top level" folder. As I explained above all
its sub folders go into the .directory tree. Each sub sub folder into their
respective parent's .directory and so on.

> So, back to the hidden path/file. I added a folder ..
>
> ~/Mail
>
> in the KMail config and it worked just fine. So, thanks very much for your
> help, you have solved the problem for me.  :D

Ah, so you must have had one of those older setups :)

> Now, I'm "importing" by simply copying folders into ~/Mail and sub paths.
> I'm sure that will work now. How do I ensure that the akonadi db and other
> files associated with it, is in sync with my folders. Is there a command to
> wipe the db and have it search through the folders to reload or similar ?

The maildir backend handler (resource) should do that automatically.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring