[kdepim-users] Lost emails

Peter Richards peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 3 10:13:03 GMT 2014

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 10:51:56 AM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Gee, I hoped data loss issues (except that one-byte thing that Andras
> supposedly fixed in master, but possibly not yet backported it to KDE SC
> 4.12) would be all be fixed meanwhile.

There was one other annoying issue. KMail would not let me place the Local
Folders at $HOME/.local/share/local-mail . KMail insisted that the folder was
$HOME/.local/share/local-mail.directory . Workaround was to place the local
folders at $HOME/Mail

> Am Montag, 3. März 2014, 20:22:35 schrieb Peter Richards:
> > There are 653 emails missing from the inbox and sent-mail box. Compared it
> > with a backup, which was used to copy the mails into that path. I'm using
> > $HOME/Mail , and that is where the emails are missing. I seem to remember
> > posts from time to time where people had 'lost' emails in KMail.
>
> Did you "just" miss the files, or have they been missing within KMail as
> well – also after a restart of both KMail and Akonadi? It may happen that
> mails are just in the database directory for a while, until Akonadi writes
> them to their final location.

I noticed they were missing when I was doing a scan in Beyond Compare. The
backup (main) folder didn't agree, and I know all that folder was copied.
Please note, I didn't import the emails from a backup folder, due to the fact
I also had import problems. I simply placed them all in $HOME/Mail, and went
into KMail.

Restarts - How do I restart KMail, and how do I restart Akonadi please ?

> Did you see any 1-byte sized files floating around in your Maildir?

No, and I just ran Kfind and it didn't find any.

> > I have now manually synchronised the inbox and sent-mail folders, by using
> > a backup.
> >
> > Why did KMail delete all these emails ? Is it because the akonadi backend
> > is not properly synchronised with the folder structure ?
>
> My crystal ball is asleep at the moment. So frankly, I do not know. And I
> doubt anyone else does.

Should I remove the mail filtering ? There is a dummy one setup, everything is
grayed out. I do notice a dialogue with some msg about 'mail filtering'
appearing. You would think if there were no options in the mail filtering
rules, that KMail would be 'smart' enough not to go run mail filtering.

> I suggest gathering all the information and logs you can and report a bug
> with approbiate severity and bugs.kde.org

For now I will just keep monitoring the number of emails against the backups.
I will also remove that (dummy) mail filtering config.

Regards,

Peter