[kdepim-users] Push Mail

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 15:32:12 GMT 2014

On Thursday 27 March 2014 16:04:05 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 of March 2014 08:27:15 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 2014-03-25, 08:12:16, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am wondering if kmail/akonadi do support push mail in an IMAP setup:
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail
> > >
> > > I use K-9 Mail on my phone and it is always faster to deliver new email.
> > > Even when my smartphone signals new email, "Update Folder" or F5 on the
> > > Inbox does sometimes not show the new message on the server.
> >
> > I think the IMAP connector supports the IMAP IDLE extension but I am not
> > sure how to activate that or how to check if it is activated.
>
> IDLE is activated automatically when the server supports it, but because it
> requires a separate session for each mailbox to monitor, it watches only for
> changes in INBOX.
>
> Dan
>
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
As a slight aside, I have noticed that IDLE worked even when KMail is working
offline.  I am not sure that it should as offline should really mean that it
does not initiate requests to fetch new mail unless told to.

Does IDLE support also mean that we no longer need to set refresh times on
IMAP connections.  It certainly seems to work, but I understand that IDLE
only works for so long and then needs to be refreshed (at the protocol level)
and I am not sure whether the IMAP connector does this automatically or if
we need to set a refresh time of 30 minutes (I think this is the recommended
IDLE timeout) for it to work properly.

David