[kdepim-users] Kmail "Processing xxxxx of nnnnn messages"

ianseeks ianseeks at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 11:11:38 GMT 2014

On Monday 27 Jan 2014 11:19:25 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Sunday 26 of January 2014 17:14:33 ianseeks wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > This message appears at the bottom left hand corner of the Kmail window
> > during startup.  What is it doing?
> > It stops Kmail marking messages as read whilst its going on.  Should this
> > be a thread that runs in background and not affecting the foreground
> > tasks?
> It's showing how many emails in the just-opened folder have been retrieved
> from Akonadi and sorted into threads.
>
> During the process emails are constantly being fetched from Akonadi, and
> because KMail uses only one "channel" to talk to Akonadi, it can't send your
> request to mark an email as read until all messages are fetched and the
> channel is free again.
Thanks for the explanation.  As there is a graphic part to this process of
"marking as read", can't that be done whilst the actual update to the email
storage is queued to be done once the "channel" becomes available again.  Is
this "single channel" design a bit limiting, should there not be multi-
threaded access in this day and age? (i don't know anything about akonadi
really so i'm just throwing ideas in the air)

> I don't think there's anything we can do about it at this point, but in
> future we would like to make Akonadi and KMail smarter, so that they only
> fetch the emails you can see on the screen and then fetch more on demand as
> you scroll down. This will solve your problem, as well as many other
> performance and memory issues :-)
Sounds like a possible solution or work-around. I presume the idea of caching
the emails in the old "Mail" folders was dismissed.