[kdepim-users] kmail 4.8.5 -> 4.11.5 : new config files ?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Feb 13 18:42:59 GMT 2014

On Sunday, 2014-02-09, 16:15:50, christophe wrote:
> I'm about to migrate my pc and my laptop from opensuse 12.2 to 13.1, that is
> to say, from kde 4.8.5 to kde 4.11.5 .

When I migrate from one PC to a new one I usually rsync the whole $HOME
directory to an external disk and then rsync back on the new machine.

> Are these files the same in kde 4.11.5 ?

Most likely.

> Are there new config files in kde 4.11.5 that i should synchronize also ?

I don't think there is reliable way to tell. Sometimes software gets
modularized, functionality moved to a library and used by more than one
application.
If such functionality is associated with certain config, that is usually
solved by having a new config that is then read by all applications using that
library.

> Any old files that i should not use anymore in the kde ?
> Which files ?

If you are using KMail2, which is likely, then you could remove the config for
KMail1 (kmailrc)

> When the files are the same in kde 4.8.5 and 4.11.5, are there differences
> within the files ?

I don't have any details on that but there could have been changes.
Config files are sometimes restructured during an application's life time.

KDE has an update mechanism for that which can be used by developers to
transform old config autoatically so that newer versions only have to deal
with the new structure or format.

Those update scripts are usually installed into a kconf_update subdirectory in
any of the paths listed by
kde4-config --path data

Some applications might also do conversions themselves, mostly when data needs
to be encoded quite differently.

> What differences ?

Can be anything from keys being renamed, moved between groups, values encoded
differently, etc.

> Can i copy the 4.8.5 files in 4.11.5 and then 4.11.5 will adapt without
> problems ?

Yes.

> I mean will i loose data, if i simply use the old .kde4 config
> files for the new kde ? Or are there some possible problems during migration
> ?

I've been using the same KDE config since about 2001 :)

Sometimes jumping over versions due to distribution not packaging any
intermediate ones (a.k.a. Debian stable freeze)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring