[kdepim-users] Untouchable e-mails in KMail

Duffields dhltd at telus.net
Wed Feb 26 16:12:46 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb, 26, 14 02:11:05 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a very-low-traffic e-mail folder which received a message yesterday
> via my ISP's POP3 service. At intervals after that I noticed two
> duplicates, then two more and so on until I had 30 of them by this morning.
>
> I can delete all of the duplicates except what I assume was the first pair.
> They remain in place, marked unread, and when I run the dedup process
> (Folder
> > Remove duplicate messages) I get this error once for each of them:
> 	"Unable to fetch item from backend (collection 15) : Unable to retrieve
> 	item from resource: Invalid item retrieved"
>
> The real message had a .doc attachment, probably produced by a version of MS
> Word. That document opens nicely in Libre Office.
>
> It looks as though I need to dig into the works to find and remove the
> offending entries in whatever database is involved - can anyone advise me?

The inner workings of Kmail are still a mystery to me after 5 years of using it off and on (not
a good way to master anything), but I had a similar experience.  In my case it was a more
active folder (something like the outbox) but deleted messages kept re-appearing and I
kept deleting them, all but the two that refused to go away.   After about a week,
suddenly everything was OK.  I cannot explain it but it has happened to me on two
different computers, both of which were running Kontact on Kubunutu.

I hope you get a proper fix and I would love to see it too.

Mac