[kdepim-users] Baloo port / transfer

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Feb 19 20:17:25 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-02-19, 21:33:00, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Given that, as I understand it, KDEPIM is moving to use Baloo instead of
> Nepomuk for a number of reasons I am wondering if there is an easy way
> to replace Nepomuk in an existing installation?
>
> I am on Kubuntu and will install 14.04 when it is released, that to me
> seems like a really good timing to do the transfer.
>
> But how? I think Kubuntu 14.04 will use KDE 4.12.x but have no idea if
> Nepomuk is optional/replaceable and so on.

My understanding is that it is not a drop-in replacement as far as access
methods are concerned.
I.e. it can do all the things necessary for KDE PIM's use cases of Nepomuk,
but clients need to "ask for things" differently.

It is a bit like replacing a POP3 server with an IMAP server.
If you only have POP3 clients, switching to IMAP on the server, how great it
may be, will not be a wise decision.

Luckily in our case, the IMAP server will appear in the same release as the
IMAP enabled clients :-)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring