[kdepim-users] KMail not showing content of older email unless I go menu View-View Source

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 15:52:40 GMT 2014

On 02/12/2014 16:16, Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> O. Sinclair:
>>
>> I have some really old email that I once upon a time imported from
>> Outlook somehow. We are talking pre-2005 email.
>>
>> During a move of webhost I discovered that these email can not be
>> "seen" in KMail any longer unless I go to menu View and choose View
>> Source!
>
> Do you see the headers? (Subject, From, To,...)
>
>> On the server (this is IMAP) they look perfectly fine. Being created
>> in Outlook once upon a time these are html mail, not that it should
>> make any difference.
>
> Well, in case you can see the headers, but not the text, it may be that KMail has a problem parsing of the MIME structure (or html) of the message. Given that its Outlook, it would not be totally unsurprising to be ‘different’ from the expected.
>
> Therefore, can you describe the MIME structure of such mails. (Try to distill the general feature they have, by looking at the sources.) For example, a typical marked-up message with one pdf attachment nowadays has the following MIME structure:
>
> multipart/mixed [
> 	multipart/alternative [
> 		text/plain,
> 		text/html
> 	],
> 	application/pdf (disposition: attachment)
> ]
>
> (Look at the source of such a message if my depiction is not immediately clear.)
>
>> Anyone have any idea how I might get them to show in KMail as mail,
>> not "source" and not only via webmail client to server??
>
> You can probably find out what is the problem by iteratively cutting down (a copy of) one of the problematic messages to the essentials. You can do this by editing the message source. See my post to this list entitled "Re: kmail: various questions of a new user" from 20 November 2014, sent around 12:57 +0100 (you can find it in the archives).
>
> If the reason for the problem does not become apparent after cutting down, post the source of such a cut-down message (with personally identifiable information removed, of course) to this list.

Hi, thanks for assistance!

Yes I can see the headers and yes they are "Content-Type:
multipart/alternative"

I found your earlier mail and for now I have tried saving one of these
mails (that creates a something.mbox file) and to my surprise the
"kmailviewer" informs me it is multipart but only one part will be
shown... and then views it perfectly!

I simply edited away the html part (there is plain text and then an html
part), saved it and imported it and that works. Though that is VERY
tedious work given the amount of email I am dealing with here.

Wish there was (at least) a way to do it from inside KMail or some
setting "with multipart only show one part" if you get what I mean

kind regards,
Sinclair