[kdepim-users] Why won't kmail send keep password?

James K Gruetzner jkgruet at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 9 17:22:25 GMT 2014

Everytime I restart kmail the receive works well (and seems to interface with
KWallet fine).  However, in order to send email, I first have to go through the
following:

1. Select Settings > Configure KMail
2. Select Accounts
3. Select the "Sending" tab
4. Click on the default SMTP account
5. Click on Modify

 The pop-up window indicates that the outgoing server is set, the "requires
authentication" box is checked, the "Login" correctly shows the user name, and
the "Password" has the appropriate number of black dots.  The "Store SMTP
Password" box is also checked.

After making zero changes or even selecting anything,
1. Click "OK" to close the "Modify" box
2. Click "OK" to close the "Configure - KMail box

If I don't go through the rigamarole, the email will not send and remains in
the outbox, failing server authentication.

Suggestions?

   James