[kdepim-users] KMail 4.13 upgrade: check for new mails minimum every 5 minutes?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 08:24:15 BST 2014

On Saturday 26 of April 2014 09:32:23 Benedikt Engelhard wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> ist there a reason for such a high minimum value of 5? At least in my
> oppinion, this is a rather long time.

It's a reasonable minimum to make sure sync tasks don't pile up: imagine slow
IMAP server with many busy folders - sync can easily take couple minutes and
Akonadi would then end up in doing nothing else but syncing mail, eating away
CPU and IO, not mentioning battery, when running on laptop.

> Or is there a difference between "checking the inbox for new mails" and
> "syncing folders"?
> Because since I did changed the value to one in akonadi_imap_resource_Xrc
>
> >[cache]
> >IntervalCheckTime=1
>
> the new mails really arrive after one minute in my inbox (and that's really
> important IMHO).
>
> Syncin folders every 5 minutes is ok, checking for new mail only every 5
> minutes is not. If these two ways are different in the codebase (syncing,
> checking), then there should be two different options to set the intervals
> in the configurations dialog...?

Should be the same, but maybe there's some another trigger in IMAP resource
(or it's a bug in Akonadi scheduler).

Dan

> Greetings,
>  Ben
>
> Am Freitag, 25. April 2014, 18:23:58 schrieb Daniel Vrátil:
> > >
> > > That kind of puzzled me since I have resource configured to less so I
> > > began
> > > some code digging :)
> > >
> > > Seems the minimum of that setting can be configured as well, just not
> > > from
> > > an UI (the intent being that sysadmins could set a higher minimum of
> > > that
> > > was required for their systems).
> > >
> > > The change in behavior is a result of the default being changed from 1
> > > 5
> > > minutes.
> > >
> > > If you want to change that to 1 again, create (or modify if exists) a
> > > file
> > > called resourcebaserc in any of the directories listed by
> > > kde4-config --path config
> > >
> > > containing
> > >
> > > [ConfigurationDialogRestrictions}
> > > MinimumCheckInterval=1
> >
> > This won't work :-) There is (and always have been) a minimum limit on how
> > often folders can be synced in Akonadi server which is hardcoded to 5
> > minutes. So even when you configured less than that, the folder was never
> > synced more often than every 5 minutes. I just changed the default value
> > in
> > resourcebaserc to 5 in KDE 4.13 not to fool users :-)
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Keivn

Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
KDE Desktop Team
Associate Software Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348