[kdepim-users] kontact suddenly dead slow

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Tue Oct 15 12:41:39 BST 2013

On Tuesday 15 October 2013 10:08:06 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 of October 2013 09:55:27 ITSEF Admin wrote:
[...]
> > I just tried runnig KMail solo - no change. KMail + akonadiserver + mysqld
> > start churning away shortly after KMail starts up.
[...]
> > Kontact (or KMail in the latter case) is starting tons of jobs
> > - several per second, actually - and it just keeps on doing that. They are
> > all of the type "Akonadi::CollectionFetchJob" and all of them stay in the
> > state "Waiting" indefinitely (tried for 24h).
[...]

> this sounds like a problem with duplicated special collections (Inbox, Sent,
> Trash, ...). In Akonadi Console -> Browser tab check whether you don't have
> some of these collections duplicated in Local Folders (usually there's one
> folder in English and one localized in your language). Pick one, delete it,
> restart Akonadi and KMail should work again.

Ok, I admit I was a bit sceptic when I read your suggestion - but hey, you
just made my day! THANK YOU!

Upon inspecting the Local Folders with akonadiconsole, there were two folders
marked as trashcan visible: "trash" and "wastebin" - I am pretty certain that
only one of them was visible in KMail. I then stopped Kontact and removed
"trash". Upon the next start of Kontact, everything went back to normal again.

Coming to think about it, I have an idea how this came to pass: As I'm
migrating from an old set-up, I had all local mails in $HOME/Mail. That
included a folder called "trash". One of the first configurations I made in
KMail was to point "Local Folders" to that directory rather than the default.
When I added the Kolab-accounts, they've set their trash folder to "Local
Folders/wastebin" as per default (that seems to be a change between e35 and
this version - it used to be "Local Folders/trash" - or is that a localisation
issue? I'm preferring British English over American...). So, somehow, that
mixed things up.

Question: Are you aware of there already being a suitable bug report tracking
this issue or would you like me to create one? KMail of course should not fail
in that way just because there happen to be two such folders...

Thanks again,

Thomas