[kdepim-users] Still 100% CPU when using Kontact - nearly SOLVED!

Bas G. Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 22:17:16 BST 2013

Hello Everybody

Now it ís another good moment to update you with my findings - simply by replying
one of your mails in this thread.

> You have any idea how long you've been operating with the same
> $HOME disk?

The $HOME I am working with right now, is about 2 months old maximum - it has been
created by a fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04.  About 2 to 4 times per I make a fresh
installs with the latest 'stable' version of Kubuntu at both of my laptops.

> Reason I ask is that when I moved to 13.10 BETA,  I ran into some
> severe CPU problems with MYSQL and Akonadi and Nepomuk
> trying to figure things out.   Never had the problem in 13.04 but I
> had other problems like search not working in KMAIL.

Exactly this kind of complications have caused me to regularly put a fresh install of
Kubuntu at my computers - making a fresh install is less time consuming than trying to
solve the kind of problems you refer to above  Yesterday, I upgraded to Kubuntu
Saucy, 13.10, along with KDE 4.11.2. So far, I do not have any major complications with
Kontact and other applications - this has probably to do with three  recent measures:
     *  the fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04 at this machine in August or September;
     *  the recent renaming and recreation of the nepomuk folder dealt with in this
thread;
     *  about 2 -3 weeks ago, I already upgraded to KDE 4.11.2 via a ppa backport in
13.04, because  it became clear to me that that version of KDE contained various
improvements, stabilisations and bug fixes.
I must say, I do observe some major progress with respect to  Kontact along with
MySQL and Nepumuk. I can work quite well now - without the blocks, glitches and
setbacks from this summer. I am quickly writing this mail without delay, while
multitasking - VLC is playing an online radio station, Firefox is working as well and
Nepomuk indexing goes more quickly and smoothly in the background.

On the other hand, the average CPU consumption is about 80% and still often peaks to
100% - so this issue is still a point of attention.

> Today I started from scratch an rebuilt my entire $HOME disk, with
> a lot of referencing to my old one to determine settings for KMAIL
> and desktop frills.  Now things are working like a charm.

The above sounds interesting. What about the CPU consumption at that
configuration?
However it may be. Soon, I want to carry out a fresh install of Kubuntu 13.10 at both of
my machines. I am considering to carry out 'manual' installs - with a view to getting
separate HOME partitions. When taking into account the above, do I need to create 2
HOME partitions? Or do I need to create 1 HOME partition and another EXT4 data
partition with 'references' to the HOME partition? How can I create such 'references'?
In other words: how can I create such a configuration, that the CPU consumption can
drop to a bit more reasonable level?

> When I went into my old $HOME to search for some things, I found
> that the layout (directory names and organization) were no where
> NEAR what they are under a clean $HOME.  Totally different and I
> am surprised that the old one ran as well as it did.
>
> Just saying....   it might be time to clean house.

'Cleaning house' is something I do regularly anyway - as you can see above.
But I would like to know anyway more about the way you use 'old' and 'new' home
partitions to ensure a smooth operation of Kontact, Nepomuk and MySQL.
Taking into account the still high CPU consumption at the laptop I work with right now,
some more optimisation still must be possible.

Have a good weekend!

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

--