[kdepim-users] Please check your maildir stores for 1-byte sized files

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu May 2 20:16:40 BST 2013

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Still it would be reassuring to hear from some POP3 users that they do
> not have one byte sized files in their local maildirs while using
> (local) filtering themselves.

I don't think it is POP3 related and if it is related to filters, it
doesn't happen frequently. I once had such a 1 byte file some days ago
and I'm using fetchmail to collect mails where my procmail setup puts
them in ~/Mail/inbox. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I do
remember that my machine was very busy from an unrelated application
when new mail arrived. I then switched to the kmail window and hit the
space bar to get to the next unread mail. The headers of that mail
appeared but there was no mail text. I think I switched to another mail
and returned to the empty mail but this time there were even no headers
displayed. I checked the appropriate folder in the hope that I could
read the mail with an editor but it was only a 1 byte file. Therefore I
copied the backup (copy sent to a second user on this machine) and I
could read the mail with kmail. It was definitely a data loss but
unfortunately I can't describe the circumstances with certainty.

Nils