[kdepim-users] What about VCard directory shared addressbooks?

Henk van Velden henk.vanvelden at xs4all.nl
Tue May 7 08:26:00 BST 2013

On Tuesday 07 May 2013 06:47:24 Jose Medellin wrote:
> How do I manually trigger the reload of the addressbook for Akonadi to
> read again the VCF File list?  Right clicking on the resource and clicking
> refresh doesn't do anything.  I heard somewhere that maybe a dbus
> message could be issued for the resource, but I have no idea how to
> even start with that.. If you point me in the right direction, I can look
> it up myself, no problem... I'm quite good with bash scripting know my
> general way in programming.  This issue has become quite a nuisance
> for me and it's the first time in 2 years I see a chance of fixing it!

There is also some discussion going on about this in the KDE-Pim forum of the
KDE forums: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=110892
And there seems to be a lot to say about this.

Even when you know about a way how to re-sync Kaddressbook with the vCard
addressbook (the only known way thus far is removing and re-adding), when
should it be triggered? One example: each time my wife edits/adds/removes an
address, she should trigger me (loged in at that moment in time or not, on
the same system or not) to do this re-sync action. And of course the other
way around. And of course in every other combination of users/programs that
change the addressbook. I do not see any practical solution.

The designers completely forgot that the contents of the vCard addressbook is
leading. That is the truth and not their copy of it inside some KDE4 file,
inside the home directory of a user. And something that is programmed from a
complete misdesign is not easy to repair, let alone to by-pass. It must be
redesigned.

No, like another thread going on here (kde-pim hopeless?), I see a black
future for our KDE-PIM usage.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk van Velden