[kdepim-users] What about VCard directory shared addressbooks?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue May 7 14:55:29 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-05-07, Henk van Velden wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 06:47:24 Jose Medellin wrote:
> > How do I manually trigger the reload of the addressbook for Akonadi to
> > read again the VCF File list?  Right clicking on the resource and
> > clicking refresh doesn't do anything.  I heard somewhere that maybe a
> > dbus message could be issued for the resource, but I have no idea how to
> > even start with that.. If you point me in the right direction, I can
> > look it up myself, no problem... I'm quite good with bash scripting know
> > my general way in programming.  This issue has become quite a nuisance
> > for me and it's the first time in 2 years I see a chance of fixing it!
>
> There is also some discussion going on about this in the KDE-Pim forum of
> the KDE forums: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=110892
> And there seems to be a lot to say about this.

Interesting, though I couldn't identify any involved person as a developer so
information contained within might be flaky.

> The designers completely forgot that the contents of the vCard addressbook
> is leading.

Well, no.
The vCard addressbook resource has file watching, the maildir resource has
file watching, so nothing in the design prevents the vcarddir resource from
file watching.

> That is the truth and not their copy of it inside some KDE4
> file, inside the home directory of a user.

Hmm, which resource creates a copy in the user's home directory?

> And something that is
> programmed from a complete misdesign is not easy to repair, let alone to
> by-pass. It must be redesigned.

See above.

Cheers,
Kevin