[kdepim-users] KDE-PIM resource usage

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Fri May 24 13:45:05 BST 2013

Hi, folks...I am addressing the programmers and maintainers of
KDE-PIM. I really like KMail/KDE-PIM, but I have a huge problem --
this application appears to be a massive resource hog.

I run 64-bit Fedora 18/KDE and when Kmail is running, it really bogs
down the computer. I'm not running a light-weight PC either... this is
an AMD64 dual-core with 4 Gigs of RAM and plenty of swap space.

As a non-programmer, I don't know what the problem is or how to fix
it. I would ask that you folks look into doing what you can to make
this application more friendly for "average" PCs. In my opinion, you
shouldn't need an 8-core CPU with 20 Gigs of RAM in order to run a
"Desktop" O/S and an email client. Granted, I usually run more than
that, but that being said, I don't think I'm asking too much.
Thunderbird works pretty well for my email, but I prefer the look and
feel of KMail. It's what I'm used to, not to mention it has all my
archived emails.