[kdepim-users] Location of POP emails

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Jun 18 15:03:42 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-06-18, ianseeks wrote:

> 1.  $HOME/Mail - Does not exist

That only exists on very old installations :)

> 3.  $HOME/.local/share/.local-mail - I have
> "$HOME/.local/share/local-mail/" with 3 empty folders, "cur", "tmp" &
> "new".

Each folder in a Maildir tree has the same on-disk structure, i.e. these three
subdirectories. Usually the "cur" one contains the emails of the respective
"folder".

The top folder "local-mail" usually doesn't contain any emails, so its "cur"
directory is usually empty.

All subfolders are inside another directory, name beginning with a dot plus
the name of the folder plus .directory

So if we have local-mail/inbox the mails of inbox would be in
$HOME/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/inbox/cur

Mail of local-mail/inbox/foo would be in
$HOME/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/.inbox.directory/foo/cur

And so on.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring