[kdepim-users] yet another failed KMail2 migration

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Jun 26 18:53:34 BST 2013

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 05:58:00 AM Maurice <maurice at bcs.org.uk>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:05:13 -0600, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> >  I copied all the right files into place, ran kmail-migrator and had
>> >
>> > no errors reported. I opened KMail and though it sees my folder
>> > structure, it doesn't show any emails in the folders.
>>
>> I've had no problem migrating from earlier versions of KMail to 4.10.
>>
>> I just copied my old /mail directory into ~/mail, and told KMail to map
>> its 'Local folders' onto that.
>>
>> KMail picks that up and runs with it - though when it first takes that
>> directory over it will need quite some time to index the files,
>> possibly with nothing to be seen in the folders in the meantime.
>>
>> N.B. I use POP, so do not know if the above approach works with IMAP.
>
> How long should I wait for 1.3G of mail to be indexed on a 6-core cpu with
> 32M of RAM? Perhaps I am not waiting long enough for the indexing process
> to complete before I touch anything.

What do you mean indexing? If you copied the mails and pointed the Local
folders (maildir agent) to them and issued a sync,  it could take a while,
but that is more a magnitued of (tens of) minutes, not hours or days.
While this is done, you can't read mail that were not put in the cache.

If you talk about nepomuk indexing for search, that could take much more,
but you can access the mails.

Andras