[kdepim-users] yet another failed KMail2 migration

Maurice maurice at bcs.org.uk
Wed Jun 26 18:51:40 BST 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:10:10 -0600, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> How long should I wait for 1.3G of mail to be indexed on a 6-core cpu
> with 32M of RAM?

  32M of RAM??!!
(If you mean 32GB, I'm really impressed...)

My /mail is 1GB, and the first time KMail 4.10 saw it it spent some 15
minutes indexing it. In fact, when I started KMail it behaved as
though it had not started, but I just sat there and waited, and all of
a sudden it appeared and the current folder contents began to roll in.

This was on an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz, with 4GB
RAM.

> Perhaps I am not waiting long enough for the indexing
> process to complete before I touch anything.

  Perhaps! Could try starting KMail and then going for a long walk...

After the initial takeover of /mail, I found KMail very good at doing
a quick re-indexing if any new mail files have been added, e.g. from a
cloned version of /mail on a laptop for a trip away from base.

By the way, I have 'Nepomuk File Indexer' disabled in System
Settings/Desktop Search, leaving 'Nepomuk Semantic Desktop' and 'Email
indexer' enabled.

--
/\/\aurice