[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Sun Jul 7 21:32:03 BST 2013

Quoting Shridhar Daithankar <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net>:

> On Sunday, July 07, 2013 11:47:33 AM Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> The problems are getting to be much too many now and my colleagues and I
>> are looking into alternatives.

well, what worked for me was sylpheed - nice and simple, blindingly
fast and almost zero cpu load. I'm using recoll for searching and it
indexes the mails much better than any mail program I've used. Overall
very nice, simple, fast, functional.

Dave

  I lost another day when my finally-seemed-
>> stable setup lost messages during filtering, deleting them from my ~/Mail
>> store, on the way to making me a 341G (yes, G) .xsession-errors log.
>
> I don't use much of kmail filters but this is what I did and it may help you
> getting a working setup sooner and with less pain.
>
> Long long time ago, when kdepim2 made its first debut, it ate few of
> my mails.
> Thankfully they were mailing list mails and there was no harm done
> in the end.
>
> But since its the machine on which my $dayjob depends and I pull 3-4 pop
> accounts, from throwaway to super-important ones, I wanted to ensure that
> kmail does not eat/corrupt anything again.
>
> and so I set up a local dovecot server for archiving. Having already done it
> few times before for $dayjob certainly helped.
>
> Once a solid mail store in place(remember, akonadi only stores mail pointers
> to the imap mails, not the mail itself), I can blow away entire kmail setup
> without blinking.
>
> Since I have deleted and recreated entire ~/.kde4 folder many a
> times, just to
> see whats new in a shiny kde version(Yay arch! :)). and it still keeps
> chugging along.
>
> HTH
> --
> Regards
>  Shridhar

I think that if a person doesn't feel cynical then they're out of
phase with the 21st century. Being cynical is the only way to deal
with modern civilization, you can't just swallow it whole.

-- Frank Zappa