[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Tue Jul 9 20:48:39 BST 2013

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Now that explains some stuff.
>
> So the filter needs only be active for the maildir resource the POP3
> resources are downloading to?

Right. The reason behind it is that filtering is independent on the rest, it
can filter only what is already in the Akonadi database, so it can filter
only when the mail from the POP3 server reached a local account (technically
you can download directly from POP3 to an IMAP account and that should work
as well, but I doubt anybody is using that setup).

> I have seen this behavior, mails appear in inbox folder before getting
> filtered, but I never translated it into what I need to check as account.
>
> I also wondered whether I would having it filtered twice if maildir *and*
> POP3 resource was selected.

I doubt, that selection just indicates if the filter is active or not.

> Another solution might be: Do not show POP3 accounts as filter target at
> all if there is no filtering taking place on that level.

Yes, that's a solution, although might not be that good, as you can have
multiple local account and multiple POP3 accounts that download the mails to
different places, so the user would need to know where the mails are going.

> I also wonder, what the mixed maildir resource would treat as new mails
> that trigger the filtering. I hope it won´t treat moved mails as new (in
> that folder).

This is independent on the account type. Automatic filtering is triggered if
a new, unread, not ignored, not spam mail is added to a folder that is one
that should be filtered (inbox), it belongs to an account that is enabled
for the filters. And yes, moving new mails in a "watched" folder will
trigger the filtering.

Andras