[kdepim-users] Performance issues again

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 4 10:43:55 BST 2013

Hi!

Any ideas to workaround

Bug 321944 -  synchronizing large about 77000 mail Linux kernel mailing list
folder blocks out KMail for more than 15 minutes
http://bugs.kde.org/321944

I know I can do it like with old KMail and move out mails to a different
folder. But…

1) I still feel a bit cautious at moving >5000 mails at once after previous
experiences. I think it would work without data loss as long as I keep CRM114
spam filter disabled, but I still feel a bit of fear.

2) As far as I understand I can only have a folder tree of mboxes with the
traditional mixed maildir resource. But I heard its not recommended to use
that. Other alternatives is to use a single mbox resource for each archival
folder, but this seems like overkill to me.

I do have a traditionally mixed maildir folder hierarchy in my home directory
with all the mails I archived with KMail 1. I did not yet dare to throw it at
Akonadi, cause I think it would crawl down for weeks as it has more than one
million mails.

Is it unreasonable to expect modern mail application to handle such an amount
of mails on a Sandybridge i5-2620M 2.5 GHz dual core with 8 GB of RAM and 300
GB Intel SSD 320?

Its not that I try this is a low-spec machine.

I am also disappointed, that Akonadi basically blocks out KMail for >20
minutes on synchronizing just one 77000 mail folder. I thought one of the
design goals of Akonadi has been to have KMail *always* responsive, no matter
what Akonadi does in the background.

In my current perception the behaviour is worse than it was with KMail 1.

I still think that Akonadi needs serious performance work.

Well I think I will make a good snapshot and try my usual mbox archival
approach again. If set to incremental archiving it even works.

But before that I disable any synchronizing, even on startup of KMail. Its
just Akonadi that handles the mail. If it moves one, I expect it to know what
it did.

Thanks,