[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 13:19:46 BST 2013

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 01:15:34 PM you wrote:
> We (as KDE) are taking a risk on things like Nepomuk and also Akonadi. We
> are  paying the price. But, unlike Thunderbird, Evolution, Lotus Notus, MS
> Outlook or really anything else out there, we have the basis for something
> great for many years going forward.

Very true, every now and then I test the waters with gnome shell, Cinnamon,
mate etc - none of them have the vision that KDE does. And I see akonadi as
being crucial to that, the integration of messaging, people and meta data at a
system level is quite radical. Exposing them as system services will lead to
applications that haven't been though of - its laying the ground work for
innovation to come.

Maybe nepomuk will get there, I really hope so. Currently I have to disable
the mail indexing as it crashes the storage service constantly - it doesn't
like something in my email data, leaving nepomuk as a whole unusable. I
discovered my music files were unindexed, presumably as a side effect of this.
This sort of fragility is not encouraging.

I've tried working with the nepomuk code. Its not best documented or most
straightforward code in the world. However it is far from the worst.

So I guess I'll suck it up and keep testing, maybe see if I can trace the
problem myself. Its not like there are alternatives.
--
Lindsay