[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 11:46:34 BST 2013

On 08/07/2013 09:59, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2013, 21:06:17 schrieb O. Sinclair:
>> I have not lost 1 mail yet in 4 (or more) years and have mail storage
>> since 2000 in my accounts. With KDEPIM1 and recent versions. My
>> frustration has always been with the mail address scenario and search -
>> and at 4.10.x it works too.
>
> I had mail loss. But only under very specific circumstances, i.e. using CRM 114
> spam filter rules, which pipe a mail through an external command.
>
> Without these rules, which worked just fine with KMail 1, I have not seen any
> data loss either.

In this case I would blame CRM114 64-bit that had (has?) known issues at
least in Kubuntu. I also use CRM114 combined with Spambayes and the
times filters really misbehaved was with CRM114 after I migrated to 64-bit

Generally the whole migration seems to be better off with a "move
existing email to a separate folder, create a blank KMail, set up your
accounts and then import your moved mailfolder/s" than the everything
but automagic migrater.

And whatever I happen to think of Nepomuk and Akonadi - they come with
KDE4 and Kdepim2 and no whining of mine is going to change that. I have
also fumed several times when seemingly simple things like address
completion stops working, when nepomuk ate my CPU alive and so on. But
if I REALLY was fed up I would use Thunderbird or something. That I also
do but just to separate work/business mail from others.

Which also says that my main PIM is KDEPIM and I hope to keep it that way.

Sinclair