[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sun Jul 7 21:21:44 BST 2013

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> To follow up on my KMail2 migration posts over the last week or so, I've
> finally found KMail2 success. Maybe. For now.
>
> The key was a note in http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=98929
> about KMail2 defaulting to assuming mbox  for the folder that the Local
> Folders resource uses.

That is not true. If you perform migration (I'm not sure about KMailCVT), it
defaults to mixedmaildir, that support Maildir AND mbox mixed together. New
installs default to maildir only.
Unless you have mixed folders, I strongly suggest just using maildir and not
mixedmaildir (aka KMail Folders) that is KMail1 specific storage format.

> I'm still having trouble with some filters that don't work. They don't
> even seem to be tested, whereas others further down in the list are. But
> that's a separate post.

Check the filter log (Tools menu), see if they are run at all, check if
invoking them manually works, try to nail down what is common for the
filters that do not work.

For the rest, well, I know switching to it can be painful, but starting with
4.10 it seems to work just fine for most of the users. 4.11 should be even
better. There is a pattern: when a distribution enforces KMail2 on users, we
have a flood of problem reports. Once that settles down and people go
through the migration (automatic or manual), the number of complaints go
down. It could be that some switch to another mail client, but probably not
all, as I see the same names coming back from time to time here. :)
 When you switch or if you switch at all is of course up to you as long as
your distribution provides KMail1. But with KMail1 you must know that:
- it is not developed or supported anymore
- might have problems with some integration with adressbook and groupware
services. There was a KMail1 working with Akonadi addressbook, but that
combination is nowadays unsupported (I know some distros ship it).

Andras