[kdepim-users] KMail hangs after viewing email with Google calendar invite.

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Jul 11 12:33:22 BST 2013

Am Dienstag, 9. Juli 2013, 07:59:47 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> > Does Akonadi serialise email access? i.e can't retrieve an email until the
> > last retrieval is finished?
>
> Yes, access from one client to the server is serialized. Akonadi can handle
> multiple concurrent access (and does all the time), but from different
> clients.
> You can check the jobs running with akonadiconsole's job tracker.
>
> What we would need to figure out is what is the job that blocks.

Could that lead to KMail not reacting to user input. I.e. when switching
folders quickly?

I think it would make sense to cancel previous action then, but especially
when synchronizing I have seen KMail / Akonadi taking lots of time (>10-20
seconds or possibly even a minute) to display a mail I click on.

I think that for good user experience it is important to prioritize the most
recent user query over background tasks. Cause I think that Akonadi was made
to enable KMail to react to user queries no matter whats going on in the
background. I thought this, aside with having mutiple clients using same
framework, was one of the main motivations behind Akonadi. But now with using
KDEPIM 4.10.4 SC I see KMail 2 occasionally block just like KMail 1. Well
unlike KMail 1 the GUI is not completely blocked, but if any action I take
gives me a "retrieving" message the difference is not that huge.

I as user expect quick response at the task I currently put my focus on and
there I think KMail 2 sometimes still lacks responsiveness.

Ciao,