[kdepim-users] Kmail/Kaddressbook - LDAP/GSSAPI to Active Directory?

Paul Sobey buddha at the-annexe.net
Thu Jul 18 10:13:43 BST 2013

Good Morning,

I use kmail at work. I'd like to bind to our Active Directory (2008) via
GSSAPI for addressbook lookup. This used to work, but recently (4.7-4.8?)
the LDAP functionality in KDE was refactored a bit, and now I can't make
it work. It _does_ work on my home openldap/gssapi setup, making me wonder
if there is some sort of schema related issue here.

Steps to reproduce:

- configure ldap AD server with SASL/GSSAPI bindings in kaddressbook/ldap
   server settings
- in kmail, compose new email, select recipient, search directory service,
   type name
- error message observed: 'LDAP server returned the error: Unknown API
   error' <LDAP URL>

Details of setup:

- gentoo box/kernel 3.9.1
- nslcd bound correctly to AD via SASL/GSSAPI (implies stack behaving)
- kerberos service ticket for ldap/domain controller after search
   (implying good SASL bind)
- OpenLDAP 2.4.30
- KDE 4.10.5

Is anyone out there successfully doing this? I'd love to know if it's a
problem with my setup, or bug. Suggestions for further debug gratefully
received. In particular, if there is a way to determine exactly what ldap
query is being sent to the AD it would help. I can't find a logfile
anywhere, and packet capture doesn't help since the traffic is SASL
protected.

Cheers,
Paul