[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Jul 8 19:29:56 BST 2013

On Sunday, July 07, 2013 11:21:44 PM Andras Mantia wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > To follow up on my KMail2 migration posts over the last week or so,
> > I've
> > finally found KMail2 success. Maybe. For now.
> >
> > The key was a note in http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=98929
> > about KMail2 defaulting to assuming mbox  for the folder that the Local
> > Folders resource uses.
>
> That is not true. If you perform migration (I'm not sure about KMailCVT),
> it defaults to mixedmaildir, that support Maildir AND mbox mixed
> together. New installs default to maildir only.
> Unless you have mixed folders, I strongly suggest just using maildir and
> not mixedmaildir (aka KMail Folders) that is KMail1 specific storage
> format.

I think I got into trouble with an old and messy ~/Mail that had things
that looked like MBOX and so I was directed into mixedmaildir. I cleaned up
my ~/Mail and dropped it into place (no importing) and a whole series of
errors vanished. Some kind of ~/Mail scanner to identify problems would be
handy as part of the migration process as KMail1 runs quite happily with a
~/Mail that definitely confuses KMail2.

> > I'm still having trouble with some filters that don't work. They don't
> > even seem to be tested, whereas others further down in the list are.
> > But
> > that's a separate post.
>
> Check the filter log (Tools menu), see if they are run at all, check if
> invoking them manually works, try to nail down what is common for the
> filters that do not work.

I have been logging and it seems only my spam-related rules (filtering on
headers put there by spam-scanners upstream) seem to be invoked
automatically. The only thing they share in common is having "spam" in the
rule title. Filtering manually with Ctrl-J works, though I've had cases of
lost messages (restored after an akonadi/kmail restart) and lost message
bodies (not restored after a restart).