[kdepim-users] Old emails missing message body

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Sat Jan 26 10:21:20 GMT 2013

Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andras Mantia wrote:
>
>> Mark Fraser wrote:
>>
>>> I've just been looking through a few old emails and I noticed that many
>>> of them no longer have body. Looking at the source there is nothing
>>> below these lines:

>>> I do have back-ups of most of them, but is there any way of getting back
>>> the other ones? Also why is this happening?
>>
>> For how long have you used KMail2? There was a bug (I guess fixed in some
>> 4.8.x release), where you could lose the message body. Filtering could
>> also do it in pre 4.9.x something. Sorry, I don't know the exact version
>> numbers. I also have some body-less messages in my Inbox...
>
> well, in case of IMAP offline mode, it's actually most of the time only
> locally i.e. the mail is still complete on the server, but I don't know
> any way to tell KMail2 to fetch it and index it again. I have quite some
> mails all from end of 2011 where KMail2 presents me only the mail header.
> Take a look with Trojíta and you'll see that the server has still the
> complete mail.

That is another bug and on my todo, as I also have this issue. The mail loss
I mentioned in my previous mail is about local mails.
For IMAP the problem is different: if for some reason (e.g. akonadi bug or
switching from online imap to disconnected imap) the headers are already
cached, but the body is not, than Akonadi will not refetch the missing body.
This causes several problems, the worst I run into was a complete blocking
to access to offline IMAP when you are not connected to the net.
This blog has some information about the problem:
http://www.afiestas.org/kdepim-sprint-2-understanding-and-diagnosing-
akonadi/

Andras