[kdepim-users] kmail2 sync > akonadi db sync ???

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Mon Jan 21 08:00:27 GMT 2013

Am 20.01.2013 10:12, schrieb christophe:
> Ok, now that i have survived the kamil2 migration, despite some sleepless
> nights, i need to sync kmail between many computers so that i have the same
> kmail on every computer, just as i used to do with kmail 1.13.
>
> I use unison to sync mails.
> this is the list of synchronized files :
>
> path = .kde4/share/config/kmailrc
> path = .kde4/share/config/kmail.eventsrc
> path = .kde4/share/config/kmail2rc
> path = .kde4/share/config/kmail2.notifyrc
> path = .kde4/share/config/emaildefaults
> path = .kde4/share/config/emailidentities
> path = .kde4/share/config/mailtransports
> path = .kde4/share/config/akonadi_pop3_resource_1rc
> path = .kde4/share/config/akonadi_pop3_resource_2rc
> path = .local/share/local-mail
> path = .spamassassin
>
> But if i sync only these files, when opening kmail on another computer, the
> unread email list is not the same and in a directory with 1000 emails with 12
> unread emails on the first computer, i get ~500 unread emails on the second
> computer.
> Not good.
> Also, i see with htop that many akonadi-something processes are eating cpu
> time and monopolising hard drive for a long time.
>
> I have done some research on google.
> Some say that one has to sync also the akonadi db files so that the unread
> mails appear the same on every computer.
> Is it right ?
> Do i have to sync to sync everything in .local/share/akonadi ?
> .kde4/share/config/akonadi* ?
> .config/akonadi/* ?
> Any other files or directories ?
>

> But, syncing a db semms to be something really dangerous, because
> synchronization mustn't be done during commit, only after commit, from what i
> remember of my old computer science university lessons.
> When shall one sync this akonadi db ?
> Does akonadi have a function somewhere to sync its db between 2 computers ?

To sync states of mails and Kontacts you have to sync akonadi DB as
well. but: NEVER SYNC A RUNNING DB.

I run my sync at login (from my Server to my client) and at logout
(after akonadi and nepomuk has stopped from client to server) with rsync
via ssh. I sync my complete home directory (except some folders and
files like .thumbnails). But I must confess that I don't use kmail that
much lately.

Martin