[kdepim-users] kmail dead after 4.10 update

Chris Glasoe crglasoe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:40:27 GMT 2013

I did an Opensuse 12.1 -> 12.2 update and KDE 4.8.5 -> 4.9.5 over the weekend.

I can't say that Kmail was dead but it was extremely slow.  Having experienced
many problems starting with KDE 4.4 I decided to run the system monitor to see
what was happening.

Virtuoso was off the charts active.  I let it run for 8 hours (overnight).
The next morning, everything had calmed down and response time was somewhat
back to normal.  One online update to bring in required patches and another
overnight run and for the most part life is good.

I don't pretend  to understand Akonadi,Nepomuk, Virtuoso or their
interactions.  I just know from all the various posts these three in someway
have a huge impact on KDE.  Turning off file indexing and/or email indexing
seems to help, but patience in letting them (which ever one is responsible)
run their course has lead to a normal existence again.

I would also say the making sure you have all the correct versions is
critical.  One thing I did stumble on within Opensuse repositories was making
sure that when using KDE beyon 4.8 (considered the stale release for Opensuse
12.2 in my case) that you also have the Qt 4.x.x repository available, because
KDE > 4.9 needs all of the latest Qt.  That maybe obvious to most but it
wasn't to me and it did resolve many of the issues I was having.

It seems that Kmail, Kontact etc works when there are variations of versions,
but there are always problems that can't be resolved given the lack of data
posted for most of our problems.  So simply making sure that you are pulling
all KDE from the repository that hold the version you want to run and have the
most up-to-date Qt repository helps.