[kdepim-users] kmail dead after 4.10 update

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Feb 8 07:52:25 GMT 2013

O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 07/02/2013 22:31, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Chris Glasoe wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, but I have to disagree here.  When I have turned Nepomuk off
>>> address completion and searching does not work.  I receive a message
>>> saying that Nepomuk must be running.
>>
>> Sure, I know. You can chose between the two: slow KMail or half-working
>> search and completion. In that case I strongly suggest get away without
>> completion for a while (recent address completion will still work) or
>> upgrade to 4.10.
>>
> Have to disagree - have been using 4.9.x since release, completely
> jumped 4.8.x due to nonworking address completion. Have had very few
> problems with nepomuk and 4.9.x

You must be a lucky one. :) In KDE 4.9.x and before Nepomuk goes crazy from
time to time slowing down the whole KMail. In 4.10 there is a partially
rewritten Nepomuk, a pim indexer for nepomuk and there were lots of speed
optimizations.
 At least I kept Nepomuk off before that, but now it is on for quite some
time (~2 months I guess) and works ok performance wise. I don't search often
though, so I don't know how reliable it search, but completion is mostly
fine (with a slight delay, so the results don't appear instantly).
 So from my personal experience and feeback from many users, I keep my
suggestion:
- pre-4.10: Nepomuk off
- 4.10 or newer: Nepomuk on, at least try it with Nepomuk enabled

Andras