[kdepim-users] Re: kmail dead after 4.10 update

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Fri Feb 8 20:12:21 GMT 2013

On Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 15:48:19 CEST, Werner Joss wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 7. Februar 2013 21:35:32 CEST, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Unfortunately it doesn't tell me too much.
>> Some other ideas:
>> - run kdebugdialog and turn off all debug areas, than repeat
>> the akonadictl restart in a terminal to get rid of some noise.
>> - run akonadiconsole and (temporarly) enable the debugger and
>> see if there is heavy traffic going on when you select a
>> folder.
>> - turn off nepomuk and see if helps
>
> I had already tried this:
> akonadictl stop
> remove offending resource (imap account) in akonadiconsole
> restart akonadi
> reconfigure imap account in kmail
>
> now account seems to be active, mails are beeing retrieved
> (seems to, at least).
> but unfortunately, my kmail does not show any
> folders/accounts/messages, just everything empty.
> see http://picpaste.com/kmail0-MmPX6sFj.png
>
> what could I try next ?
> Werner

so, well, I managed to get a step further (not much, though), but still no mail.
all in all, it turns out this 'update' (not the first time, but once again) destroyed virtually anything related to kde_pim, except things which do not rely on nepomuk/akonadi.
which is IMHO still the root of all evil in kde, after 5 years.
please drop this crap and focuse on simple components, e.g. trojita, which works well, but of course still lacks basic functionality like signing, encryption, and, in the first place, an addressbook.
this is my last post on this list for now, as I'm going back again to trinity, which thankfully still provides a full kde pim suite from the 3.5.x days.
easy to configure/maintain/troubleshoot, works like a charm.
ciao
Werner