[kdepim-users] Lock widgets in kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 5 19:18:36 GMT 2013

On Thursday 05 December 2013 20:04:05 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2013 21:46:37 mls at xlist.pw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a way to lock the widgets of the UI of kmail so that they
> > cannot be changed? I set up a Kubuntu laptop for my father-in-law,
> > but he more and more messes up the widgets and then don't know how
> > fix it. I would like to freeze kmail so he can only create emails,
> > open emails and switch folders. Changing the toolbars, columns width
> > and so on should not be possible.
>
> You should be able to lock at least some of the settings with the help
> of the generic kiosk-capabilities of KDE's configuration backend.

Some more remarks:
Your father-in-law will probably still be able to change the look of the
running KMail, but after a restart of KMail everything should be back to
normal.

Potentially destructive options like deleting folders probably cannot be
prevented (unless the corresponding menus can be configured with a UI rc
files like kmcomposerui.rc and kmmainwin.rc).