[kdepim-users] Reportedly unread messages in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 17:18:37 GMT 2013

Hello list,

The other day I had something go drastically wrong with KDE, the only solution
to which was to create a new user and set it up from scratch, including
importing all the e-mails and filters. This is a Gentoo amd64 box (not ~amd64)
running KDE 4.10.5. KMail seems more stable and better set up than before,
with one exception:

Three mail folders are shown as having unread messages when they haven't
(three in one folder, one each in the other two). Is there a way to fix this?
I’ve tried forcing a re-index on the affected folders but that didn’t help.
Stepping through messages does take me into those folders, so it isn’t just a
display artefact. Akonadiconsole also shows unread messages.

I had managed to export all my KMail messages and filters from the old user
account, but when I tried to import the archive in the new one I had a bit of
a problem. After a few minutes of reading the 1.9GB archive file kmailcvt gave
up and said it had failed to read it. What it actually meant is that it had
run out of space in /tmp, so since I’m using LVM it was easy to expand the
partition and try again.

Also, it’s early days yet, but so far it looks as though my duplicate-messages
problem has gone away.

--
Regards
Peter