[kdepim-users] [Kde-pim] Displaying Kleopatra windows on top

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Aug 1 08:29:16 BST 2013

Hi,

At Wednesday 31 July 2013 22:25:27 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 03:11:17 PM you wrote:
> What is assuan? is it usually present in linux?
Assuan is a protocol to communicate between components of GNUPG and some UI
providing Software. Mainly GPA and Kleopatra.

The idea is that a client can just ask gpg-agent to do something and gpg-agent
can then tell another Software like Kleopatra to handle the GUI for the
operation.

The protocol documentation is here:
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gpgme/UI-Server-Protocol.html#UI-Server-Protocol

It's clumsy to use and imho a bit overkill / uneccessary. That's why I did not
suggest it for your use in KMail. But for your key lookup feature the assuan
way would have been to add an Assuan command like "UI Server lookup" probably
with the option --external. And then gpg-agent let gpg-agent handle it. That
way a user could use GPA or some other uiserver and it would not have been
hardcoded to Kleopatra.

Regards,
Andre

--