[kdepim-users] Integrating Kontact with LibreOffice Base

donp don at dcparris.net
Tue Aug 13 18:26:31 BST 2013

Hi all,

I have been searching the web a good part of this morning and have thus far
found little to nothing useful about connecting LibreOffice Base to my Kontact
address book (local default address book file).  I am guessing that some here
probably use both programs and may be able to point me in the right direction.

What I really want - at this point - is to be able to do something similar to
creating a "linked" table, like in MS Access & Outlook.  The advantage of the
linked table is that it stays up-to-date (in Access) when changes are made in
Outlook.   However, there is no unique ID field in the resulting table.  Thus,
you cannot easily (without programming) create a join on the table.

Is it possible to do something similar with Kontact & Base?  Is it possible to
open a Kontact address book in Base?  Would the contacts in my address book
have a unique ID field that can be used for joining with other tables?  Should
I be using a different resource for the address book to make this work?  Or
maybe it just isn't possible at the moment?

Maybe I have overlooked some solid info somewhere, and I am happy to do some
reading if there is any good info.  Otherwise, if someone can help out, I
would be happy to write an article about doing this.

Many thanks!
Don