[kdepim-users] KMail not updating source folders on move operations unless restarted

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 11 17:12:52 BST 2013

Hi!

Today I migrated my PIM setup from KDEPIM 1 from KDE SC 4.4.11 to KDEPIM 2
from KDE SC 4.10.2 on my Debian Sid system.

It worked quite well. I have redone everything. Removed Akonadi configuration
and database, removed Nepomuk configuration and database. I moved mails from
~/Mail to ~/.Mail and ~/.Mail-Archiv. The former contains some 250000
somewhat recent mails in at least 100 maildir folders while the later
contains some 650000 mails archived in mbox folders. I didn´t dare to let
Akonadi go at those archived mails. Both mail directories are snapshotted
via BTRFS for extra safety, but find and du -sch compared from snapshot and
current state tell me that Akonadi left my mails alone and all is nice :).

In ~/.Mail I have several maildir main directories, one for each POP3
account. I copied local mail to another maildir main directory. This looks
like this (just some excerpt):

drwx------ 1 martin martin     18 Apr 11 08:33 Lichtvoll
drwx------ 1 martin martin   4,1K Apr 11 17:28 .Lichtvoll.directory
-rw------- 1 martin martin   4,2M Apr 11 08:33 .Lichtvoll.index
-rw------- 1 martin martin    34K Apr 11 08:33 .Lichtvoll.index.ids
drwx------ 1 martin martin     18 Jan  2 11:36 Lokal
drwxr-xr-x 1 martin martin    528 Apr 11 09:50 .Lokal.directory

Instead of creating just one local folders maildir agent I created one for
each account. This looks nicer in KMail. I just pointed each maildir agent
to the corresponding directory like "~/.Mail/Lichtvoll" and told Akonadi via
Akonadiconsole to "Synchronize all". Quite quickly Akonadi build up a MySQL
database of about 1,3 GB. Akonadi Nepomuk Feeding took quite a bit longer.
About half a day, but is completed now to.

I imported filter rules, selected proper inbox directories for each accounts
and so on. Then after setting keep 7 days on server I dared to retrieve new
mails via POP3.

This works. I am not yet sure whether CRM114 spam filter rules work. I got
quite some spam in inbox.

But the more important thing is:

Whenever I move a mail or click on the icon for marking a mail spam via a
manuel filter which moves it to the spam folder, the mail does not disappear
from the source folder of the move operation until I restart KMail.

It does appear in the destination folder tough and then it seems I have a
duplicate mail. After restarting KMail all is fine tough.

I also tried viewing the folder in Akonadiconsole, but there the progress
sign didn´t disappear.

Maybe its still doing something. Virtuoso is still somewhat active. But
according to "Agents" tab in Akonadiconsole everything, including the newly
created "Mail Filter Agent" is idling.

Any immediate ideas?

If not, I´d file this as a bug, if not already done.

Aside from that I also have the issue that address completion from "Personal
Contacts" does not work.

Searching for mails appears to work.

And accessing folders appears to be quite fast.

Thanks,