[kdepim-users] KMail not updating source folders on move operations unless restarted

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Apr 12 11:18:30 BST 2013

On Friday 12 April 2013 07:17:04 O. Sinclair wrote:

> On 11/04/2013 18:16, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 April 2013 18:12:52 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Today I migrated my PIM setup from KDEPIM 1 from KDE SC 4.4.11 to
> >> KDEPIM 2 from KDE SC 4.10.2 on my Debian Sid system.
> >
> > […]
> >
> >> But the more important thing is:
> >>
> >> Whenever I move a mail or click on the icon for marking a mail spam via
> >> manuel filter which moves it to the spam folder, the mail does not
> >> disappear from the source folder of the move operation until I restart
> >> KMail.
> >
> > Same goes for marking messages as read.
> >
> > KMail only picks up the change after I restart it.
> >
> > Thus it applies all changes, but doesn´t display them in the source
> > folder unless being restarted.
>
> I see this sometimes too, there is no real "pattern" to it except for
> filtering being involved (btw CRM114 works just fine for me, I also use
> Spambayes to really harden the spamfiltering). The devs are aware, I
> have discussed this on their mailing list.
>
> No solution just yet though, it is "mildly irritating" to me, not a
> dealbreaker.

So there we are. I restored those mails, by removing last seen uid list from

martin at merkaba:~/.kde/share/config> ls akonadi_pop3_resource_*
akonadi_pop3_resource_0rc  akonadi_pop3_resource_2rc
akonadi_pop3_resource_4rc  akonadi_pop3_resource_6rc
akonadi_pop3_resource_1rc  akonadi_pop3_resource_3rc
akonadi_pop3_resource_5rc

And having it redownload stuff.

Due to the duplicate entries in the database and a scary message that
resource Lichtvoll already exists, I have it redo the Akonadi and Nepomuk
database while taking care to adjust inbox filters. I also re-imported filter
list to make sure they have the right target folders. (I still think KMail
should bail out with a LOUD error message if database ids have changed! But
I at least I knew this pitfall already)

Now Akonadiconsole reports the Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder as "Nepomuk is not
operational: Nepomuk is not running". I understand that I can fix that by
restarting it. But for that I will wait till things have settled down.

Now actually I understand complaints about resource usage. Akonadi + Nepomuk
occupied 2-4 logical cores of a quite high powerer Intel Sandybridge
i5-2520M 2,5 GHz for more than day. And then this ThinkPad T520 let the cpu
overspeed itself at upto 3,2 GHz for quite extended period of times. And it
also occupied the the Intel SSD 320. I consider this hardware to still quite
top-notch.

I wonder what my older ThinkPad T42 with Pentium M single core processor and
slow 2,5 inch laptop harddisk would have done. I think Akonadi + Nepomuk
would have made it unusable for at least a week to come.

For me, this is still showstopper. I think it will work on this high powered
hardware. At least, if I, if need be, disable full text indexing, at least
on certain folders.

I think there is room for improvement. Our Zimbra servers does MySQL for
mail metadata and Lucene as search index with 40+ accounts on one machine
and it never appeared that occupied with it for that extended periods of
times. Well I do not have any hard scientific data, but still.

Anyway, I now try to have KMail remove duplicated mail due to the deletion
of the last uid seen list. I think it settled down.

I think its mostly the full text indexing that consumes that much resources.
Akonadi builds up a more than 1 GB database in about an hour or so, so the
Akonadi sync seems to be pretty fast.