[kdepim-users] address autocompletion gone missing in 4.10.2 - workaround found!

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 10:28:01 BST 2013

On 07/04/2013 10:11, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 07/04/2013 07:02, O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> Is the nepomuk feeder running?
>
>>> To check the status:
>
>>> sudo apt-get install akonadiconsole
>
>>> then start akonadiconsole (its a gui app) and check the
>>> "Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder". I suspect it will show either
>>> "Waiting for Nepomuk to start" or "Nepomuk not operational:
>>> Nepomuk is not running".
>
>>> Both statuses are a furphy, nepomuk is running but sometimes
>>> the feeder has a problem detecting this on startup. Restart
>>> the feeder to get it working (right click, Restart Agent).
>
>>> The feeder indexes the contacts collection and the index is
>>> used for auto completion
>

>> Yes feeder is running, I know of the glitch since before.
>> Problem is that since 4.10.2 install it does not "do" anything
>> when I restart it. In 4.10.1 you could see some activity after
>> the restart, now it just says "indexing done" or "ready to index"
>> but nothing happens.
>
>> And I have recreated it, recreated Personal Contacts and
>> removed/recreated HOME/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
>

> To add: Distribution Lists/Groups also stopped working as I
> suspected, this is somehow tied together with the autocompletion.
>
> Frustrating is the word

OK I found a workaround that I consider "not satisfactory" but it
makes things work again.

There is way to make KMail look in all Nepmuk data instead of where it
is so to speak supposed to (explanation way to techie for me, maybe
Lindsay can explain it).

In folder HOME/.kde/share/config there is a file
"kpimcompletionorder". Add these 2 lines:
[General]
UseNepomuk=true

restart KMail and presto, completion works (you get more suggestions
than before) and so does Groups

Whatever you do - do not set the value to "false", even Dolphin
stopped working for unknown reasons

As I said: this is a workaround, it is NOT how it is supposed to work
and I will be most happy if someone can find a "proper" solution.