[kdepim-users] What about VCard directory shared addressbooks?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Apr 30 19:23:08 BST 2013

On Tuesday, 2013-04-30, Henk van Velden wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 April 2013 17:08:53 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > It mainly means that the program handling the directory won't
> > automatically check for changes.
> > I.e. if you change on of the files the data known to applications will
> > still be the same and will be overwritten if any of those applications
> > change the same contact.
> >
> > In theory this could be handled very similar to how the maildir handler
> > manages its directories, i.e. monitor for changes by other programs.
> > Limited man power has so far not allowed to apply those enchancements to
> > the vcard directory handler yet.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Thanks, this seems to be a rather to the point answer.
>
> I understand from this that in our practical life, when I change an
> address, my wife will not see this from her system immediatly, but after
> stopping/starting Kontact (with normaly will be synchrone with a
> logout/login at evening/morning). And when she during that session changes
> in the same vCard, my changes are lost.

I think you can also menually trigger reload of the addressbook.

> You also hint to the fact that this maybe solved in the future (without
> time schedule).

Yeah. We actually discussed that at the latest PIM meeting, but neither of the
main developers has currently time to look into that (either no time at all or
busy with other areas) and new developers are hard to find when it comes to
backend work. Way to many "wow, look at this" development topics open in the
desktop application space.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring