[kdepim-users] KMail forgets POP/SMTP password - SOLVED

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 06:57:01 BST 2012

On 14/09/2012 16:55, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 12/09/2012 00:13, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:37:46 AM O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>  > However, the problem that started this discussion is that KMail in KDE
>>
>>  > 4.9 seem to forget at least the SMTP password, regardless of wallet or
>>
>>  > not. I have to type it in once a day or so, not that it bothers me lot
>>
>>  > but it is a bug for sure.
>>
>> I was getting this behaviour - first send (no matter what account) asked
>> for the password but oddly enough, this has stopped happening on my
>> desktop. Just noticed today when I rebooted. did a few more tests,
>> definitely fixed. Could have been any round of updates in the last week
>> as I reboot (and hence restart akonadi) very rarely.
>>
>> I haven't made any config changes that I'm aware of.
>>
>> kde4-config --version
>>
>> Qt: 4.8.2
>>
>> KDE Development Platform: 4.9.00
>>
>> kde4-config: 1.0
>>
>> lsb_release -a
>>
>> No LSB modules are available.
>>
>> Distributor ID: Ubuntu

>> Release: 12.04
>>
>> Codename: precise
>>
>> --
> Still see it despite all updated and same config as you, actually just
> now as I just booted this laptop.
>
> I am suspecting my wallet as I also have a problem with 2 accounts in
> KDE Telepathy- but am weary to start with a new wallet due to all
> passwords... especially for wireless networks.
>
> hm.. can one import a wallet or export? should check that

Grabbed the bull by the horns..

created a new wallet (mine was ages old) and found indeed that you can
export to xml file. Did so from the old one, changed default wallet to
new one. Imported xml file, rebooted and went through all "blablabla
wants access to wallet" queries.

problem gone, as another weird problem I had with KDE Telepathy accounts.

meaning that yes, a wallet can go bad. Creating a new was not much work
though and for now all is well.

Best,
Sinclair