[kdepim-users] What causes a subject to be visible only in the headers?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Oct 11 16:50:56 BST 2012

Am Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2012 schrieb Anne Wilson:
>   On 01/10/12 22:21, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> I have three messages that were moved by hand into a folder.  In
> >> the message list they show no subject.  One of them is
> >> completely blank no matter what you do - fortunately it wasn't
> >> too important, because it looks to be totally lost.  The other
> >> two show no subject or sender. They show today's date, which is
> >> totally wrong. However, the preview pane displays both of them
> >> perfectly, including the original date in August.
> >>
> >> I don't suppose there is much we can do about this, but I do
> >> wonder what caused it.
> >
> > Seems that somehow the metadata associated with the email got lost
> > or damaged. I can't say why it happened. Losing the body on copy
> > was possible until recently (a few days ago) IF the account from
> > where you copied was offline (local accounts, like a maildir folder
> > can also be offline). The header should have not been lost though.
>
> To be honest, I've been moving things about so much this week that I
> can't reliably tell you what happened, so the chances of learning
> something are small.  I can't find the two mails that had body but no
> subject at all in ~/Maildir.  I did find the one that had neither
> subject nor body.  If it is at all likely to help I'll send that one
> to you.

How about a feature to show the exact path to the mail file within KMail?
It can be hidden in a context menu or so.

But I think it can help a lot to compare what KMail sees and whats there
in the file.

After an X.org crash I just had it again – with KDEPIM 4.4.11 still so I
won´t report in bug tracker – that about emails where of unknown date
until I clicked on them.

Maybe a menu point of "Eigenschaften" I think its attributed or properties
in english like it is available for the mail folders? There under
Maintenance it is possible to see the directory the mails are in and it is
possible to rebuild the index – I bet this may have changed in KMail 2.

Something like that for a mail and shows the location of the mail file and
gives the possibility to rescan it.