[kdepim-users] Filter on language

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 17 18:48:32 GMT 2012

Am Donnerstag, 15. November 2012 schrieb ianseeks:
> Hi

Hi Ian,

> I'm getting loads of spam from a japanese sites and i'm now bored of
> updating my junk filters every day .
>
> Is there a way i can filter out emails that are using asian language
> fonts?

I am not aware of something like this. But the encoding might be in the
mail headers that you can view with the V key. You can filter for anything
in there. Maybe there is also something else. Hmmm, I scanned some of my
using foreign charsets spams that CRM114 has sorted my into spam folder
and they do not seem to have any helpful headers.

Thus I can only imagine running it through an external program that
detects encoding, or a small script calling such a program and then
decides whether spam or not.

Anyway, I recommend something more generic – at least if you are running
your own mail server: policyd-weight. It removes most spam at SMTP level
by some tests and asking a set of blacklists.

On the client I suggest CRM114. I wrote an article on how to integrate,
but did not test this with KDEPIM 2 already. Tell me if you are interested
and I see if this article has been translated to english and possibly
provide a link.

Whats the advantage of CRM114 or another self-learning spam filter? You do
not have to create your own spam filter rules every day.

From the tons of spam to my mail address each day, I only see 0-10 in
unsure folder. There are more in the local spam folder, but I only scan
subject lines quickly to make sure CRM114 had no false positives, which it
didn´t recently.

In fact, policyd-weight and CRM114 make it possible to actually read my
mail. Otherwise I would have to search it in a sea of spam first.

CRM114 could be used client side, even stand alone. I use it client side,
but still with POP3. Heck, this works so fine and I only ever read my mail
on this laptop, that I might continue using POP3.

Both need some time I get the concepts and set them up, but IMHO its
really worth it. I have no single hand crafted spam filter rule at all. So
I do not have to do anything except for give CRM114 a little training when
the next spam wave comes from somewhere else than Japan. Actually I hardly
ever notice any spam waves. CRM114 learns quickly, efficiently and also
forgets as needed. All with just two about 12 MiB sized mmap()ed files.

And this setup works for years already. Without any major changes.

With everybody and every provider doing this, there would probably not be
a market for spammers anymore. Thats the hope of some CRM114 developers.

That said, there may be other spam filters being that efficient, like dspam
or newer spamassassin versions that I think the Zimbra at work uses.
CRM114 isn´t even only a spam filter, it can classify any texts.

Ciao,