[kdepim-users] Nepomuk

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Nov 18 12:45:28 GMT 2012

On Søndag den 18. november 2012 09:36:37 O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 18/11/2012 09:11, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Lørdag den 17. november 2012 19:49:22 John Aldrich wrote:
> >> Is there some reason that Nepomuk has to be such a resource hog? Whenever
> >> enable it (to allow searching email, mainly) it brings my system to a
> >> CRAWL! I don't exactly have a lightweight system either... I've got an
> >> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core CPU 6000+ (which means, I think approximately
> >> 3 Ghz x2 cores) with 4 gigs of RAM + swap. Yeah, I could probably do
> >> with more RAM, but still... Is there some reason Nepomuk requires so
> >> much of the system that I can hardly do anything while it's running????
> >
> > kdepim is using nepomuk in ways it is not meant for, and expecting
> > response
> > time and performabce beoynd what is possible from it. Personally, I have
> > come to the conslusion that if I want to use kdepim, I can not have
> > nepomuk enabled, at this time.
> >
> > The consequences are for me that I can not use nepomuk where it works -
> > for
> > general file search, tagging and connecting, and also searching in emails
> > is of course not possible.
> >
> > I only use kdepim because I can not find a suitable replacement that runs
> > well in KDE.
> >
> > The good thing is that the kdepim and nepomuk developers are now starting
> > to realize that these problems exist, and try to solve some of them, so
> > there may be a release some time in the future where we can use our
> > computers with nepomuk and kdepim.
>
> You can do a few things to get it sorted, at least in my experience. In
> System Settings, Desktop Search, increase memory to 350 Mb or more.
>
> Then edit the file
> /HOME/.kde/share/config/akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc
> to set the lines
> InitialIndexingComplete=false
> and
> DisableIdleDetection=true
>
> Before that do from command line "akonadictl stop", after do "akonadictl
> start". Then leave the computer on over night or so as it will be
> burning CPU. For how long depends on the size of your mailfolders.
>
> Following that I have a nice quiet PC that only does a "virtuoso check"
> on login.

The problems with nepomuk are ONLY created by kdepim applications abusing the
system. If I shut down akonadi, I have no problems running nepomuk.

I did do all the editing of rc files, and have had things working to some
degree, but still running akonadi AND nepmumk means that very often my system
is unusable for me (because akonadi and nepomuk is using all resources and
causing swapping).

The memory usage setting for nepomuk is set to 50Mib (default?), and with 1Mb
RAM on the netbook, I do not think it should have more - that would ALSO
assign too much of my limited resources. So I try and hope for a functional
KDE 5.0 or 6.0 release.

Not having nepomuk enabled makes a BIG difference:

* I can resume from suspend without waiting up to one minute to log in,
because of akonadi/nepomuk system abuse
* I can open the mail filter dialog wihtout having to wait up to a minute for
akonadi/nepomuk system abuse.
* I can browse my mail and trust that clicking a mail means it gets displayed.
* My battery is not sucked up in 30 minutes by akonadi/nepomuk system abuse
* etc... there are many problems caused by running akonadi AND nepomuk!

--
Anders