[kdepim-users] Message disappear after moving it to another folder

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu May 31 21:28:35 BST 2012

On 30/05/12 18:51, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 27. Mai 2012 schrieb Bepi:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Bepi,
>
>> I've just lost one message (out of ~12) I moved from Sent Items to a
>> local folder.  The particulars of that message were that it had
>> attached two pictures of ~1.5MB each.
>>
>> I have looked into ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ and it is not
>> there, although there are 86 files in that folder.
>
> file_db_data is only a cache.
>
>> This is not the first time I lose messages moving them.  It has been a
>> very rough time from the upgrade to kmail2.  The migration was really
>> painful.
>
> If a message is not in there it does not mean that it has been lost.
>
> Its important to look whether its still in the resource where it came
> from. I.e. on the IMAP server or the POP 3 maildir resource for example.
>
> Ciao,
Hmm. NOO - we should not have to check the originating servers for
emails. I am only using pop3 and I SHOULD be able to confidently tell
KMail to not leave mail on server and STILL know it does not go missing.

Version 4.8.3 that I use now is the first one where I experience mail
loss. Ever so often I get incoming mail in duplicates - if I then don't
"get" what is going on but delete one of them then BOTH are gone next
time I open KMail.

Remembering the many statements from devs on "we do not want mail loss"
before release of Kmail2 I do not know what has happened here as this to
me is regression - badly.

My setup is not unusual so can not be hard to test before release. Only
pop accounts, not even SSL and not huge amounts of traffic.

Plus filters misbehave, distribution lists are not working and address
book autocompletion misery. Frankly 4.8.x release are a step back from 4.7.4

Sinclair