[kdepim-users] [EXTERNAL] filters on ongoing messages sucks

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri May 25 15:51:15 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 24. Mai 2012 schrieb Sérgio Basto:
> On Qui, 2012-05-24 at 21:37 +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:

> > > Devs:  your works as been a great shit , you fuck-up all the good
> > > things that kmail have and kde it self , and you don't know test
> > > what you are doing . I am not your tester, I can test small
> > > details , but not a all fucked up system .
> >
> > Something tells me the language will not impress any developer. So
> > your points, if there are any apart from being upset, will get lost.
> >
> > Having said that, in 4.8.3 at least in Kubuntu 12.04 something is
> > weird with notifications. I normally "keep replies in this folder"
> > or what the setting is called as I prefer to keep business mail from
> > one entity in one folder, sent and received, and same with
> > non-business.
> >
> > Now whenever I send a mail that is saved in "same folder" I get a
> > notification that "new mail arrived". Nope, it did not. That is the
> > mail I just sent landing in the "conversation folder".
> >
> > And mail in Spam folder gets set to "unread" no matter how I try to
> > tweak filter settings.
> >
> > And these are regressions/new problems in a new release as they are
> > not there in 4.7.4
>
> Yeah, thanks for yours points, why didn't they test it before put in
> stable branch ?

Do you think that all bugs one can experience happen on all setups and all
configurations? I don´t. There are lots of different setups and configuration
options to test, to test any combination of these likely would take lots
and lots time. Sure it would be nice to have more testing, even
automatically as unit tests, but the amount of time the few developers of
KDEPIM spend on KMail is limited. Since there is no contract and no
obligations between you and the developers you may either help or pay for
testing or use KDEPIM 1 or Thunderbird or Evolution or whatever and be
done about it.

Its really that simple.

By helping constructively you have the highest chance to motivate a
developer to fix *your* problem with KMail. So why don´t you provide a bug
report - if not already there - which contains at least the following
ingredients?

1) A friendly and constructive tone - no need to hide away your
frustration, you are perfectly entitled to say that you are frustrated
about the status quo, but no need to personally accuse people as well.

2) A detailed step by step guide how to reproduce the issue. I had
difficulties to understand what you are complaining about at all.

3) Exact version informationen of the components involved.

4) Related excepts of terminal output and/or stuff in ~/.xsession-errors.

When you find a bug report that matches your situation you can add your
information to it. Otherwise report a new one.

This is a one time mail. I do not intend to spend any further second on
any posts from you that does not have a tone that is more constructive and
friendly.

Thanks,