[kdepim-users] Kmail2/ Kontact - KDE 4.7.2.: 1. Difficulties to sync with Google and to send e-mai.

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:35:25 BST 2012

Hello Everybody

At a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.10 at a netbook, I am trying to get
started with Kontact - along with KMail2, KDE 4.7.2., akonadi-googledata
and GMAIL. In spite of my good experience with a few previous versions of
Kontact, KDE and Kubuntu, I do have a few major difficulties with respect
to e-mail and calendar in the new configuration summarised here.

With respect to e-mail, I can summarise my difficulties as follows:

   - I do not manage to send e-mail, although I configure the SMTP settings
   of KMAIL according to the instructions at google.com -
   http://bit.ly/HfeDnV - via TOOLS > configure KMAIL > accounts > sending.
   - when trying to sync my "disconnected" IMAP e-mail folders, I only do
   get a the messages of probably the last 48 to 72 hours - when the
   synchronisation gets stuck, I get the following message: *unknown error.
   (unable to fetch item from backend).*

On the other hand, each e-mail  which has been labelled into a specific
folder does appear into the equivalent "disconnected" IMAP folder. So, the
synchronisation problem has to do with older messages without any label. At
the internet, I have found reports about similar problems, especially when
giving  in the search string "unknown error. (unable to fetch item from
backend) Kubuntu". However, I did not yet manage to find instructions
actually solving my problems.

With respect to the calendar, I have imported a backup from my backup of my
previous configuration into:

   - the standard "personal calendar" - together with the tasks;
   - GMAIL calendar - however without the tasks.

So far, I do not manage to synchronise the personal calendar with the one
at Google- not via akonadi-resource, also not via "DAV groupware resource",
as worked out in this page:

http://userbase.kde.org/Working_with_Google_Calendar
However it may be, I would like to integrate the local "personal" calendar
I have now with the one at Google. Also the tasks I want to integrate and
include in this  synchronisation effort.

Any ideas, thoughts?  Thanks!
Respectfully yours,
Bas Roufs.

--